SmartGit is an efficient Git Client user interface with support for GitHub, Pull Requests + Comments, SVN as well as Mercurial. SmartGit Git Client focuses on simplicity while targeting non-experts and people who prefer a graphical application over command line usage. In addition, it comes with a nice dark theme.
SmartGit Git Client Key Features
- Modify commits before pushing, commit individual lines within a file, resurrect lost commits and many more.
- SmartGit will ask only when it needs a decision, but doesn’t bother you with underlying technical constraints.
- No need to install and configure additional tools as the app comes with a built-in SSH client, a File Compare as well as a Merge tool
- See your repository state at one glance as well as your working tree, Git’s Index, available branches, which commits need to be pushed
- Clone from GitHub, Assembla and other hosting providers. Furthermore, you ca create and resolve GitHub Pull Requests and Review Comments
SmartGit 17.0.1 Changelog
Just one improvement had been made in this release and that is
- automatically set java.net.useSystemProxies=true (if not set) to improve auto-detection of proxies
A few bugs have also been addressed and these are
- Commit, Stage, others: fails on renamed files in submodules with ‘pathspec … did not match any files’ error
- Log, Refresh: did not refresh if .git/-admin root was not located below working tree root (like for submodules)
- possible “URL mismatch” error
- OS X:
- possible UI hangs related to file monitoring
- file table: clearing selection removed alternating row coloring
- preferences, Edit Diff dialog: wrong radio button preselected
- http(s) authentication: proxy passwords containing special characters like # did not work
- After removing tools.xml and restarting the app, the default external tools were not recreated
How to Install SmartGit 17.0.1 on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.04
- Ensure Java is installed by following steps documented here – Java JRE is installed
- Next run following commands to install SmartGit
sudo apt-get install gdebi wget http://www.syntevo.com/static/smart/download/smartgit/smartgit-17_0_1.deb sudo gdebi smartgit-17_0_1.deb
How to remove SmartGit from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get remove smartgit
Install SmartGit 17.0.1 on CentOS, RHEL, Fedora
- Install Java JDK by running the following command
yum install java-1.8.0-openjdk
- Next run following commands to install app
wget http://www.syntevo.com/static/smart/download/smartgit/smartgit-linux-17_0_1.tar.gz tar -xvf smartgit-linux-17_0_1.tar.gz su -c "mv smartgit /opt/"
"ln -s /opt/smartgit/bin/smartgit.sh /usr/local/bin/smartgit"