This is a quick tutorial on how to install SketchUp Make 2016 on Linux. For those who may not know, SketchUp Make 2016 (Formerly known as Google SketchUp) is a very popular, CAD style, 3D modeling program for applications such as architectural, interior design, civil and mechanical engineering, film, and video game design.
- Create 3D models of buildings, furniture, interiors, landscapes, and more.
- Customize the SketchUp interface to reflect the way you work.
- Share 3D models as walkthrough animations, scenes, or printouts, with realistic light and shadows. You can even print a model on a 3D printer.
- Import files from other 3D modeling programs or tools, or export your SketchUp file for use with other popular modeling and image-editing software.
Key Changes / Improvements to SketchUp Make 2016
- Improved the performance of Stamp and Drape and other operations where geometry is intersected.
- Improved the performance of undoing changes to geometry.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when importing an image into a model that had a corrupt image (0x0 size).
- Improved the performance of erasing entities within groups in large models.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when auto-folding certain geometry.
- See complete list of updates
How to install Google SketchUp Make 2016 on Ubuntu 16.04 using Wine
- Install latest Wine
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-staging winehq-staging
- Run following command
- Change the Windows version to Windows 7 under Applications
- Click Libraries tab > add ‘riched20’ as a new library
- Download Application
- Right-click on the exe and click ‘Open with Wine Windows Program Loader‘
- Follow the installation wizard to complete the installation
- Right-click on Sketch 2016 launcher > Click properties> add ‘/DisableRubyAPI’ at the end of the command field
- Now download “mfc100u.dll” library > copy it to system32 wine folder.
You can enable hidden folders under Nautilus with following key combination “ctrl+H”.
- Go to home folder > navigate to .wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ and copy it there.
- Launch SketchUp Make 2016