Before we take a quick look at how to install PlayOnLinux Ubuntu, lets review what PlayOnLinux is about. PlayOnLinux 4.2.10 which is the most current release, is a frontend piece of software for Wine, that allows you to easily install as wellas run many Windows applications with relative ease on Linux and Mac OS X. Furthermore, the software is free and does not require a Windows licence for use.
Note: While PlayOnLinux version 4 series had been around for a while now, while PlayOnLinux 5 is now currently under active development. There are tools available to track and help contribute the code for the upcoming version
PlayOnLinux 4 Key Features
- You don’t have to own a Windows license to use this application
- The application is based on Wine, and so profits from all its features yet it keeps the user from having to deal with its complexity.
- Play On Linux is free software
- Play On Linux uses Bash and Python
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10 Changelog
- Wine 1.8 staging is now the default wine version on OSX. As a result of the the improvement of the build process, the compiler now supports ms_hook_prologue hence improving the hotpatching functionality, thanks to wine-staging team
- Furthermore, additional wine staging instructions had been added so that they are fully supported by the scripts.
- Also the wineprefix tab in the configuration panel has been improved.
There is a forum you can paticipate in if you want up-to-date information on whats going on
How to install PlayOnLinux 4.2.10 on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint 6, Peppermint 5, LXLE 14.04
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install playonlinux
How to uninstall PlayOnLinux from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get remove playonlinux