GIMP 2.8.22 (GNU Image Manipulation Program) the most recent release, is a free cross-platform image editor that runs on various OSes which includes Linux, OS X, Windows etc. With GIMP, you can open and save images to most file formats and it offers many other useful features, plus the scope to add more using its plug-in system. It provides you with an advanced image editing such as Motion Blur, Cubism as well as Predator. But before we proceed with how to install GIMP Ubuntu, lets take a quick look at its features.
Gimp Key Features
- Allows you to customize the view and behavior the way you like it. Starting from the widget theme, allowing you to change colors, widget spacings and icon sizes to custom tool sets in the toolbox
- Features a great fullscreen mode allowing you to not only preview your artwork but also do editing work while using the most of your screen estate
- Numerous digital photo imperfections can be easily compensated for using GIMP
- The included channel mixer gives you the flexibility and power to get your B/W photography stand out the way you need
- Ideal for advanced photo retouching techniques. Get rid of unneeded details using the clone tool, or touch up minor details easily with the new healing tool. With the perspective clone tool, it’s not difficult to clone objects with perspective in mind just as easily as with the orthogonal clone
- Includes a very unique support for various input devices out of the box. Pressure and tilt sensitive tablets, but also a wide range of USB or MIDI controllers
- Supports a wide range of file formats from the common likes of JPEG (JFIF), GIF, PNG, TIFF, PSD, BMP to special use formats such as the multi-resolution and multi-color-depth Windows icon files
- It is possible to load and save files to from remote locations using protocols such as FTP, HTTP or even SMB (MS Windows shares) and SFTP/SSH
- To save disk space, any format can be saved with an archive extension such as ZIP, GZ or BZ2 and GIMP will transparently compress the file without you needing to do any extra steps.
- Supports the following Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows (XP SP3, Vista, 7, 8)
- Mac OS X (10.6 and newer)
- Sun OpenSolaris
GIMP 2.8.22 Changelog
This release is a bugfix update to various bugs reported.
- Improve drawing performance in single window mode, especially with pixmap themes
- Make the launcher script also set BABL_PATH
- Add patch for GTK+ Bug 743717 to the build which concerns crashes during clipboard operations with a clipboard manager active
- Add patch for GTK+ Bug 767091 to the build which concerns crashes on some drag & drop operations
- generate OSX package metadata during build
- Fix for CVE-2007-3126, a bug in the ICO plug-in which allowed context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via an ICO file with an InfoHeader containing a Height of zero.
- Avoid creating wrong layer group structure when importing PSD files
- Prevent a crash in PDF plug-in if images or resolution are large
- Stop parsing invalid PCX files early and prevent a segmentation fault
- If NOCONFIGURE is set, autogen.sh won’t run configure
- VPATH builds for win32 targets have been fixed
How to install GIMP 2.8.22 on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.04
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gimp
How to uninstall GIMP from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp