digiKam 5.6.0 recently released, is an advanced digital photo management application for KDE Linux, which makes importing as well as organizing digital photos a “snap”. The photos are organized in albums which can be sorted chronologically, by folder layout or by custom collections. Before we proceed on how to install digikam 5.6.0 on Ubuntu, lets take a quick look at what this release addresses.
digiKam 5.6.0 Highlight
- The HTML gallery and the video slideshow tools versions back
- The database shrinking (e.g. purging stale thumbnails) is now also supported on MySQL
- Improvement made on the Grouping items feature
- Geolocation bookmarks introduce fixes to be fully functional with bundles
- It now provides support for custom sidecars, as well as custom sidecars type-mime
- As well as lots of bug has been fixed
The next main digiKam version 6.0.0 is planned for the end of this year, when all Google Summer of Code projects will be ready to be backported for a beta release. In September, we will release a maintenance version 5.7.0 with a set of bugfixes as usual.
For more information about 5.6.0, take a look at the list of more than 81 issues closed in Bugzilla
How to install digiKam 5.6.0 on Ubuntu 17.04
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:philip5/extra sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install digikam
How to install digiKam 5.6.0 on Ubuntu 16.10
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:philip5/extra sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install digikam5
How to uninstall digiKam 5.6.0 from Ubuntu
sudo apt remove digikam5 && sudo apt autoremove