ClipGrab is a free software for downloading and converting online videos from various video sites like Vimeo, Dailymotion, Clipfish, Collegehumor, MyVideo, MySpass, Sevenload, as well as Tudou. Downloaded videos can be converted to the following file formats: WMV, MPEG4, OGG Theora, MP3 (audio only), OGG Vorbis (audio only).
Clipgrab Key Features
- It offers different quality options for a video, meaning the user can choose between downloading a high definition, standard definition or low definition version of the video
- Officially supports the download from a handful of video websites in addition to the once above, Collegehumor, youku.com, myspass.de, myvideo.de, clipfish.de
- It can automatically detect compatible URLs when they are copied to the clipboard
- Provides a heuristic which can also download videos from sites that are not officially supported
- The program also provides an integrated search function for YouTube
- It has been especially praised for its clean and easy-to-use user interface
Please note that no changelog had been made availabe as at when this post was been written. Full details of changes will be made available when changelog is available.
How to install ClipGrab 3.6.3 Video Downloader on Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:clipgrab-
team/ppa sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install clipgrab
- Remove Video Downloader app from Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04
sudo apt-get remove clipgrab
How to install it on other Linux distribution
- First install required dependency
sudo apt install libqtwebkit4
- Next run the fopllowing commands to install app
wget https://download.clipgrab.org/clipgrab-3.6.3.tar.bz2 bunzip2 clipgrab-3.6.3.tar.bz2 tar xvf clipgrab-3.6.3.tar cd clipgrab* ./clipgrab
After launching app, you will notice that it comes with 4 tabs
- Search – This allows you search Vimeo, Dailymotion, Clipfish, Collegehumor, MyVideo, MySpass, Sevenload, as well as Youtube videos without having to YouTube webiste.
- Downloads – This is where you put the video link as well as download it.
- Settings – Here you can change your download location, enter proxy settings if you have any, as well as add metadata etc.
- About – Displays more details about app